Re: Inconsistance in snapshots repository

  In message <orpviju78e.fsf@zecarneiro.lsd.dcc.unicamp.br>you write:
  > Gerald Pfeifer writes:
  >
  > > And on a final related note, I suggest to use 19980404 instead of 980404,
  > > unless egcs won't be Y2000-compliant! <g>
  >
  > BTW, would it be possible to have a ``moving tag'' called
  > `egcs_latest_snapshot', updated whenever a snapshot is released?
This is an excellent idea.  The only trick is to coordinate it with
the actual "release" of a snapshot.

It would require another checkout and tag operation to occur when
the snapshot is actually released.  And thus has to be done outside
of the normal snapshot script (and therefore is more prone to user
error).

  > With this, I would be able to simply `cvs update' my CVS tree, instead
  > of having to `cvs update -r egcs_ss_<snapshot>'.  This has got harder
  > over time, since snapshots are released with dates from 2-3 days ago,
  > and I was bitten by a mistyped date more than once already.  Jeff?
In general, I'd like to make the snapshots available immediately,
but I haven't had time to double check them for accuracy in a timely
manner lately.

The message probably won't go to the list for 24hrs since we want the
snapshots to propagate to the mirrors, but I'd really like to make
the snapshot available as soon as the script is finished.  This would
also allow the "latest snapshot tag" to be maintained by the snapshot
script itself.

jeff