egcs mail delays/duplicates

As most of you know, we're seeing about a 48hr delay from the
time a message is sent to the egcs list to the time it actually
is delivered.

Our sysadmin staff is aware of the problem and are working on
various possible solutions.

The sysadmin team installed some changes in the sendmail configuration
as well as additional hardware resources for the mail server this
week.  While we do not expect these changes to solve the problems, we
do hope they will help the current setup bridge the gap until we
have some real solutions in place.

The good news is since Wednesday the number of message receipents in
the bulk mail queue has dropped by about 15% and is still dropping.
Note this is happening *without* folks like myself starting additional
overnight queue drains.

The sysadmin staff and myself continue to monitor the queue status
regularly and already have ideas about the next round of configuration
changes to improve list performance.

So I ask that you please be patient, we are working to resolve the
situation.

On the topic of mail duplicates, I've forwarded the relavent info
to our sysadmin staff, but haven't heard anything back yet.  I've
done some initial investigation and I have a suspect :-), but until
the experts have a chance to look at the messages & logs it's too
early to point the finger at anything :-)

jeff