Re: Successful Build and Install

  In message <199803311735.JAA15334@atrus.synopsys.com>you write:
  > I wrote:
  >
  > >   > It seems that we would only want:
  > >   > * reports of failures on systems we believe to work
  > >   > * reports of successes *or* failures on systems we haven't tested.
  >
  > Jeff writes:
  > > This is probably the right general direction for minor releases.
  > >
  > > However at each major release it's probably useful to get these
  > > reports for all systems -- including those we regularly work on.
  >
  > Just the same, I'd like to cut down on email volume.  We can expect
  > the egcs user community to increase greatly with time.  Do you want
  > every single egcs user on Linux to send a mail to everyone on the list,
  > saying essentially the same thing?  You'll start to drive away developers.
  > People have other things they want to do with their lives than read egcs,
  > and if they try using filters they'll miss important messages (delete
  > all test results?  what if some expose problems?).
Actually, if you're looking that far into the future, the solution
is a web page :-)  Have a little form that you can fill out to specify
what platform you built on, and maybe comments.

That info is then make available on another page -- the idea is to
cut down on the "was anyone able to build on xyz" kinds of questions.

In fact, if someone wants to contribute the html gunk to do this it
would be greatly appreciated.  Note you can check out the web pages
via CVS these days :-)

  > Another alternative is to publish a summary of test results on platforms
  > that we have tried.  We can then ask people to send in a report if their
  > results differ *and* they've checked a FAQ to make sure they haven't made
  > a common mistake.  If we have no report for their system, we would use
  > whatever users send in.
Similarly -- we'd make a set of "baseline" test results available for
releases on major platforms (I don't think it's worth the time for
snapshots).  People could then compare their own with those on the
web.

jeff