autoconf/HP-UX advice needed

Does anyone have a good idea about this problem?  I'd hoped to be able
to get at an HP to try, but haven't been able to yet and am not sure
how illuminating it would be...

This seems to be due to setting CONFIG_SITE=/dev/null before running
configure, to defeat any site configuration file.  AFAIK this is legit
and it's always been done in g77 with no such reports before (not that
there's anything g77-specific about it as far as I know).  It would
seem to need either a hack to autoconf or a kluge supplying a known
non-existent/empty file instead of /dev/null to fix it, but I can't
see why on earth it should be objecting.

 Jeff> Dave -- I've seen a few bug reports of this nature.

 Jeff> The problem is this code from the fortran runtime libs:

 Jeff> for ac_site_file in $CONFIG_SITE; do
 Jeff>   if test -r "$ac_site_file"; then
 Jeff>     echo "loading site script $ac_site_file"
 Jeff>     . "$ac_site_file"
 Jeff>   fi
 Jeff> done

 Jeff> Eventually leads to this kind of failure:

 Jeff> loading site script /dev/null
 Jeff> /usr/local/pkg/egcs/egcs-1.0.1/gcc/f/runtime/configure[489]: /dev/null:  not found