Re: Auto-rpath revisited...

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> What's wrong with my proposal to modify LIB_SPECS? It is
> easy and should be harmless. We only need to modify LIB_SPECS
> on a platform by platform basis.

This unfortunately conflicts with LD_RUN_PATH, at least on solaris. If you
add -rpath (or -R) to the ld options, they will happily override the
setting in LD_RUN_PATH, which may lead to strange effects. When you for
example generate a Makefile via xmkmf, the linking stage becomes something
like
   LD_RUN_PATH=/whereever/X11R6/lib g++ -o ...
Just changing LIB_SPECS will let the program find the libg++, but all of a
sudden, the X11-libraries cannot be found.

Greetings, Swen