Re: building gcc-2.8.1-980206 on alpha-unknown-linux-gnu

H J Lu writes:

>> > DON'T USE gcc 2.8 on linux/alpha. As far as I know, it is broken.
>> > egcs is fine. To make gcc 2.8 working, you need many changes in
>> > config/alpha and config scripts from egcs. But I have no idea how
>> > they will interact with gcc 2.8.

>> I was just going to run the tests for gcc 2.8.1 on alpha (which we
>> should do to get it ever working), when I found trouble because of the
>> vtable incompatibility.

> The vtable is just one problem.

That should be fixed.  AFAIK, libstdc++ and libg++ enable vtable hack
on all linux systems, because of a libio compatibility problem.  If
this is the case, we must make sure the compiler gets vtable
definition right, otherwise the part of the C++ library that is built
into libgcc.a will be link-incompatible with the part that gets built
into libstdc++.  This is just plain wrong!

> You may run into more on linux/alpha later.

I don't care, as I was installing a test version of gcc 2.8.1 exactly
for this purpose: testing.

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org