Re: collect2 always built?

Joe Buck writes:

>> This is not true of ELF targets; they only use collect2 for -frepo handling
>> and demangling of error messages.

> If someone has ELF and the latest GNU ld, is there ever a situation where
> they would want to use -frepo?

Once, I made a package that contained a couple of libraries, with lots
of template code.  I used the .rpo files to select myself which files
should contain instantiations of templates, so that I could control
library inter-dependencies myself.

In fact, this wouldn't require collect2 at all, since I did myself the
work collect2 would have done, but I can imagine a situation where one
would distribute multiple libraries, and would like these libraries
not to contain duplicated code (so that a base library could be
upgraded without upgrading a dependent one).

--
Alexandre Oliva
mailto:oliva@dcc.unicamp.br mailto:aoliva@acm.org