Re: gcc already present - can I protect old version?

  In message <199802020425.XAA06735@chagall.phy.queensu.ca>you write:

  > I have loaded and unpacked egcs-1.0.1.tar.gz from an ftp site.
  >
  > ./configure ran and generated a Makefile
  >
  > I already have gcc v2.7 (.?.?) on my machine (PP200 running Linux
  > 2.0.30), and do not want to lose this. If I run
  >
  > make
  >
  > will I produce a new gcc compiler?
That will build a new compiler, but not install it.

"make install" will install the new compiler.

By default, egcs will install itself into /usr/local/...  You'll
need to see where your gcc-2.7 compiler is installed to determine
if it will be overwritten.

  > (I am relying on the generic make, because even though I only want
  > g77, I am not sufficiently knowledgable on script files, compiler
  > builders, etc, to sort through the g77-only make procedure - I just
  > don't want to potentially lose my perfectly good gcc compiler in
  > the process.)
It's not possible to make a g77 only compiler...

jeff