Re: switch index optimization

Jeff writes:

> The stuff we're talking about probably won't help that case.  This needs
> global constant/copy propagation into if/else statements.  It's on the
> list of things to do.

If you're going to do that, it seems you could go one step further and
propagate ranges (min and max values of expressions).  Constant
propagation is then just a special case (min == max).  With this framework
one could then implement efficient array bounds checking (omitting checks
for expressions guaranteed to be within range).