Re: Compiling without -g

> > make CFLAGS=-O2
>
> Not true, at least in some cases I have had to resort to using perl as
> shown.  As I recall, the problem was recursive makes that either did
> not pass CFLAGS or overrode it.

Either you are not using GNU make, or this is a bug that occurs on your
platform but not mine, or you are assuming behavior based on reading
the makefiles rather than checking it (make variables go in the
environment, so they get passed to recursive makes automatically).

If it is not working the way I described, it is a bug that should be
fixed!  We should not be encouraging people to write perl scripts to
mangle the makefiles.

(note that for 'make bootstrap' there is a different variable BOOT_CFLAGS
that is used by stage 2 and stage 3 builds).