Re: Direct CVS Access to egcs sources

Joseph H. Buehler wrote:

> I am finding that the initial cvs checkout operation is very
> sloooooow.  Could you put up a tar.gz of the tree that the initial

I'm going to try avoiding making this into the CVS discussion list,
but will try to offer the minimal amount of information to help others
on this list be productive with CVS.

Current CVS has the ability to compress (gzip) the bytestream that flows
over the wire.   For program source (which is, of course, what we're
interested in here) this can be a substantial optimization in the number
of bytes flowing over the wire.  Remote CVS speed - especially over a
WAN - can be helped substantially by including "-z9" on the CVS checkout
command.   Better yet, stick it in your ~/.cvsrc and never think about it
again.   Here's mine to get you started looking in cvs.texinfo:

$ cat ~/.cvsrc
diff -u -p
cvs -z9 -q

--