Re: New problems with gcc-2.8.0 based code - NOW FIXED!

On Mon, 29 December 1997, 08:46:13, law@hurl.cygnus.com wrote:

 >   In message <199712290718.AAA13426@wijiji.santafe.edu>you write:
 >   >     Just compiled my 2.1.76 kernel once  again this time using egcs-971225
 >   >     to see if the `-funroll-all-loops' still persists.
 >   >
 >   >     IT'S FIXED!
 >   >
 >   > Is it fixed in the latest GCC snapshot?  If not, the job isn't done
 >   > yet.  Can someone identify what change deals with this, and get it
 >   > installed in GCC?
 > Manfred -- What was the failure mode?  Mis-compiled code, compiler
 > abort, etc?
 >
 > The only unrolling bug we've fixed recently was a problem with
 > find_splittable_givs trying to split givs with a dest_reg that was
 > created by loop.
 > (which could cause either a segfault in unroll, or incorrect code).
 >
 > We fixed this in egcs back in late Nov.  I can forward that fix to
 > gcc2 if the maintainers want to look at it.

Well, it wasn't a failure of the compiler! The kernel and all the modules
could be built successfully, but when booting this kernel some system
calls issued by the two programs `isapnp' and `clock' reproducably fail,
i.e. cause `segmentation violations' of the two programs.

I then recompiled isapnp and clock with gcc-2.8.0 and now the situation
became even worse: no more SIGSEGV's but kernel oops's!

Perhaps I should look at the source of the particular programs and find
out using strace what's really going on.

Manfred