Re: M3 and gcc/egcs (was: Re: gcc-2.8.0 mailing list ?)

On Sun 28 December 1997, Michael Neuffer
<neuffer@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> [...]
[snip]
>> available, but pm3 tend to have more effort available.=20
>
>Where can I find it ?

 Try http://www.m3.org - feel free to point them to the glibc mods
on epona - they're not particularly private: I just don't want people
using them without being aware that they're not terribly well tested
yet.

[snip]
>> get back to college - probably around the 6th or 7th: the interactive
>> performance of this 'net link is awful (mutter mutter the good old days
>> mutter mutter 2400 baud mutter mutter bloody web traffic mutter :-()
>
>I can understand your feelings. I often see >40% package drops on
>connections within Germany.=20

 :-((. It seems that demon has decided to optimise for web traffic,
so I'm getting high bandwidth, high latency connections. This is not
good for interactive editing (I can't really use off-line composition
easily 'cos the machine handling the mail is down an ssh link off
a machine I'm connecting to via SSL. The wonders of modern computer
security...).

 OTOH, if you use their web proxy (or even if you don't), web access
is nice and fast.

[snip]
>>  Yes. It would be nice, but it would also probably be a lot of work,
>> probably wouldn't be supported (I presume the frontends need to be
>> written in C/have the same general invocation requirements/whatever
>> to be supported ?), and (more importantly) runs into copyright=20
>> difficulties: I don't want to infect the Cam3 compiler with the=20
>> GPL.=20
>
>What copyright is it under at the moment ?

 The DEC SRC Modula-3 copyright, which is basically BSD with
extra legalese: the Cam3 site ought to have a copy: yell if it doesn't,
and I'll mail you one.

>>  What are the current maintenance arrangements for the multiple
>> frontends ?
>
>I=B4m not sure.=20
>
>Maybe some of the Pascal or Fortran developers could comment on that ?
>The Fortran and Pascal are definitely under GNU copyright.

 Indeed :-) - it would be nice to have some sort of formal integration
with the gcc folks, though perhaps a better solution (if it's feasable:
I haven't hacked gcc much) would be to document the API and make
the gcc backend and optimiser a library under the LGPL, but that
would probably cause other sorts of copyright problems...

[snip]

Richard.