K6 optimization && compiler builtins

Hi,

At the moment I'm playing with the string/memory routines of libc which
are written in assembler. On a K6 (somtimes PPro also, Pentium not testet)
I can get a performance gain of 10-40% (!). Now my question: If I use one
of the string/memory functions (e.g. memcmp) in my programs, which one
will be uses - the compiler builtin or the one in the libc? If the builtin
is used - is it possible to include my optimized versions (if ready)?

ron

--
\ Ronald Wahl --- rwa@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de   \
 \ WWW: http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~row             \