Re: egcs & bzip2

Hi Julian,

> -- Perhaps put a link to http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk
>    where people can pick up pre-compiled versions?

Added.

> -- I was alarmed to read: "gcc-2.7 for linux will mis-compile bzip2
>    if you use the optimizer; make sure to turn off the optimizer when
>    building bzip2 with gcc-2.7."
>
>    Can you be a little more specific?  Is this gcc-2.7.0, or 2.7.X, or
>    what?  I've bzip2'd several thousand MB on x86-linux with 2.7.2
>    with no problems at all.  I presume it works ok on egcs-1.0 :-)

I tried to make the bzip2 archives on the morning of the release.
Unfortunately, I was mostly using gcc's that don't correspond to any
released FSF version.  For instance, I was able to bzip the 10MB main
egcs 1.0 tar.gz file and get a 7.6MB file on a Sparcstation 5 running
Solaris.  I could also decode that file on that same with with that
same bunzip2 binary.  When I moved that binary over to our ftp server
(also a sparcstation, but with bzip2 compiled with a different gcc), I
could not decode it.  When I copied to our www server (a RedHat Linux
2.1 system, linux kernel 1.2.13) where gcc -v says 2.7.0, I couldn't
decode the bzip archive with the gcc-2.7.0-generated bunzip2.

I did not take the time to really understand what was happening--I
quickly found that recompiling bzip2 with -O made it work across all
platforms, so that's what I did so that we could get the .bz2 files
on-line right away.

None of these problems came up with the smaller files--it was only
egcs-1.0.tar and egcs-core-1.0.tar files.

I'll try to look in to the problem next week.  I have not tested it
with egcs-1.0 to verify that the problem does not reoccur.

Jason