system setup with egcs installed

Hi all,
   This question is a little off topic, but I do want to be able
to use egcs and gcc at the same time. As mentioned in the FAQ,
one can use them both by symbolic links, for example

ln -sf /usr/local/egcs/bin/gcc /usr/loca/bin/gcc
ln -sf /usr/local/gcc2/bin/gcc /usr/local/bin/gcc2

with configure option --prefix=/usr/local/egcs for egcs. However,
I used --prefix=/usr/lpp/egcs instead, but the link from

ln -sf /usr/lpp/egcs/bin/gcc /usr/lpp/bin/gcc

doesn't work (gcc -v generates error), so I simply add
/usr/lpp/egcs/bin into my PATH. So now the egcs gcc stuff (cpp,
g++, c++, etc.) works fine now.

   The problem I have now is I don't know if there is any other
system file I should change (or maybe I should add
--execute-dir=/usr/local/bin configuring egcs?) as the
configure stuff now working flawlessly. The following is for
tcl8.0 (I'll attach the output) and for gtk+:

/usr/lpp/src/gimp/gtk+>./configure
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /bin/install -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type;
you must specify one

I was just wanting to test the usability of egcs, and hope I could
use it. As I remember seeing post saying that tcl has been
compiled using egcs. I am using all existing libraries except
new libstdc++ and libg++2.8.0b6.3 as well as stuff in the
new gcc-lib libraries.

The good news is that the Omni-Broker configures alright and the
library has been compiled but later ran into compile error.
(which is much better as it ran into g++ internal error from
the very first function using gcc2.7.2.3 and libg++2.7.2.8).

Thanks in advance for your time.