Re: Success...

>>     - Have everyone to specify a LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I hate that solution).
>
>If you just set it in /etc/profile, it's not too horrible.

	Nope, not better. I do not want to have to modify it on many machines.
If I had to do such a thing the ldconfig solution would be better. For both
I need root access.

May be, I have not been precise enough. I'm in an environment where I cannot
change anything in root partitions (because I'm not a system manager).
However, we have a group of users and some common disk space in which I can
install egcs. The solution that I adopted last time (with gcc-2.7.2.1) was to
modify the spec file and this is transparent for the users as long as the
executables are not exchanged to other sites or as long as I do not remove
the libraries. If I had to ask all the users to change their LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variable, then I'm sure:

	- That most of them will not do it when I say it.
	- A lot of them will ask at random times later why it is not working.
	- Some other will make strange things with their LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
	  at some point will come to ask for help. And of course I want to minimize
	  my work. Actually, the common wisdom around here is to never set the
	  LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable because then you override the environment that
	  the installer has set up for you and this can fail miserably (I can at
	  least think of one or two example with various Motif1.2 librairies
	  originating from different vendors!!).

I do not think my situation is that un-common. The solution with the -R flag
in the spec file works and is not that bad. The only problem I had with
gcc-2.7.2.1 is that when static linking was selected the static versions
of the g++ libraries where not taken so that we had to specify the .a
libraries manually to link with them. Should this mis-feature is corrected
I do not see specifying the appropriate -R flag just for libstdc++.so as
a major problem since anyhow when we want to export binaries we always
compile them static in order to avoid any trouble with non-existing
libraries at the other sites.

	Now, that's only my 2p. Maybe I have not figured out yet what is the
big trouble in doing so. Anyhow my point was just to leave the installer
the choice without having to go and change the spec file by hand.

	Thank's a lot anyhow for your remark, I forgot that solution.

		Theo.

Theodore Papadopoulo
 Email:  papadop@sophia.inria.fr               Tel: (33) 93 65 76 01