Re: -g broken for DWARF2 on x86 platforms

On Tue, Nov 25, 1997 at 05:23:58PM -0500, Richard Kenner wrote:
>     There can be many reasonable alternatives to fix the current confusing
>     option names; they should be fixed in some reasonable way.  It is ok
>     to use minor issues like the one above to choose which reasonable way.
>     Just as long as they don't stand in the way of solving the problem at
>     all.
>
> Jason has sent me a patch that I beleive will fix this and I'll
> install it once I take a closer look at it.

I think it would be more constructive if we could actually look at
solving the problem, rather than bickering about what option invokes it.
Can ANYONE point me in the direction of where to look? Has anyone else
looked at it? Does anyone on the EGCS mailing list know of a solution?
It cant be that hard to find, its a relatively new bug, and there are
no ChangeLog entries recently to dwarfout.c which could have had this
effect.

To any who dont know the problem, gcc -g (both FSF & egcs) both produce
bad labels when using DWARF debugging. Compiling gets you things like:
.L_T7012 unresolved symbol.  The assembler output shows a reference to
this, sure enough, but the label is never declared.