Entry for the LITERATURE

I just came across this jewel:

*** QUOTE ***

From: metcalf@mail.cern.ch (Mike METCALF)
Subject: XLF - all is revealed
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 14:12:21 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran

There are often discussions/speculations here about how given
compilers optimize source code, and in particular about how they
deal with optimal use of cache memory. I have just noticed a paper
describing exactly how this is done in IBM's xlf compiler, using the
-qhot option, as of version 4. The reference is: IBM J. Res.
Develop., 41, 3, May 1997, 233-264 - Automatic selection of
high-order transformations in the IBM XL Fortran compiler, V.
Sarkar.

Highly recommended.

                Mike Metcalf

*** UNQUOTE ***

Mike Metcalf is a long time (i.e. since mid-60's) CERN scientist
who has been on various Fortran Standardisation bodies.

I hope this paper saves me a lot of explaining my `after the
release' wish-list for Fortran specific optimisations :-)

David (Edelsohn), is this paper online somewhere ?

Cheers,
Toon.