Re: Patches for egcs-971016 on AIX

David Edelsohn wrote:
>         Your script seemed to handle symbols with the name _GLOBAL_ in
> them, which are ctors and dtors.  Your patch did not appear to deal with
> all global symbols in general.

You are nor right: my script exports all global symbols *except*
_GLOBAL_*,
because global ctrs/dtrs are exported by default via collect2.

> You might simply be able to use -bexpall
> in AIX 4.2 if you simply want all global symbols exported.  I do not know
> why someone said that this did not work.

The use of -bexpall is bad idea because of two reasons:
1) This is only AIX 4.2 feature, so it wouldn't work on AIX 4.1.*.
2) -bexpall option *does not* export symbols beginning with an
underscore
(I think that's why my attempts to build shared objects using this
option failed).

> The whole idea of exports in AIX
> is to give users finer control and prevent unnecessary namespace polution.

Well, but I believe that compiler does not make unnecessary globals
(at least it shouldn't :-))

>         Also, you need to be careful with invoking "nm".  If you do not
> give a complete path, the user's path is used.  "nm" exists in both
> /usr/ucb and /usr/bin with different formats.  This is why
> REAL_NM_FILENAME is defined in rs6000.h

Well, I check this carefully.

Andrey.