HJ's patch to libio works on Red Hat 4.2/libc 5.3.12

HJ wrote:
> > > Please discard my previous libio patch. This patch should
> > > fix both glibc 2 and libc 5. Please let me know the result
> > > on libc 5.3.12 on linux/x86.

Ulrich suggested changing __ELF__ to
> > 	#if defined __linux__ && defined __ELF__

I installed HJ's patch, as modified according to Ulrich's suggestion,
and all libio tests pass on a straight Red Hat 4.2 system.

Congratulations, HJ!  To be more thorough we should try more cases,
but I feel *much* better now about egcs on Linux and its accessibility
to non-hackers, if anyone with a relatively standard system only
has to download, configure, make bootstrap-lean, make install to
get going from source, and doesn't have to find and install other
packages.

I think this is good enough to satisfy my main concern.  I don't feel
that similar efforts to support older glibc setups are anywhere near
as important, though the "completely separate libio" option is still
a possibility.

Joe