Re: 970929 test results: libstdc++ test failures! (sparc-solaris251)

> According to H.J. Lu:
> > > I'm using a Linux system with glibc 2.0.4.  Despite Ulrich's patches
> > > that are a part of egcs-970929, a simple program to write to cout
> > > dumps core.  I really don't know what to do next.
> >
> > You need glibc 2.0.5c and a patch for linuxthreads enclosed here.
>
> Is 2.0.4 beyond help?  Debian doesn't have a 2.0.5 package yet, and
> when I looked at compiling 2.0.5c it seemed likely that I would get
> something wrong.

I want to get out of the mode where I have to continually replace my Linux
C libraries to use a new compiler.  I don't have to do that on any other
platform.  What's worse, the new libraries often break existing
applications, ones I may not have the source for (e.g. Netscape), and
pointing the finger at the other app developer does no good.  Why should
this be acceptable for Linux?  It basically says that only wizards may
use new compilers, or else all Linux users must wait for a wizard, such
as HJ Lu, to build binaries for everyone.  This makes Linux feel, um,
"proprietary".  As Mike Tiemann once said, free software is supposed to
be no-hassle software.

It would be better if the new compiler can adapt to the existing
libraries, possibly by adding more autoconf tests to find problem areas.

When egcs is released, it should be possible for Linux users who have the
then-current Red Hat or Debian distribution to build a working egcs
without upgrading their C library.