Re: About prefix on linux

> > > I have feeling that install egs in /usr/local on linux as default
> > > may cause more trouble than its worth for most of Linux users.
> >
> > Would you be willing to wait and see if there are complaints?
>
> I can wait and I hope I was wrong. But if most of linux people just
> use the precompile binraries with prefix=/usr, there may be few
> complaints. Does that mean I am correct :-)?

Anyone using your releases is forced to corrupt their Red Hat or
Debian database, precisely because they go in /usr (unless someone
makes an .rpm or a .deb from them).

Sometimes I want to try a new compiler without committing to it forever
more as my only compiler.  By only providing releases with everything in
/usr, you are forcing people to replace their compiler with the new one.
For that reason, Linux users are forced to be more cautious.

This is a risk that some people are happy to take (those that get the
latest 2.1.x Linux kernel every four days), but it would be nice if
people on "production" Linux boxes could also evaluate egcs.

For that reason, you might consider a binary release that is configured
to go in /usr/local or even /usr/local/egcs as well as one configured
to go in /usr.