Re: egcs-970828: Some nits

Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com> said:
[...]

> gcc has been successful with developers because they're willing to go find
> all those dependencies and pick up makeinfo, bison, gnu make, etc etc.

True. And linux from the shelf below ;-)

> For egcs/gcc to take the next step forward we have to do a better job
> at packaging -- it literally as to be as simple as unpack, configure, make
> make install to get a fully functional toolchain.  Hell, it might even
> need to be simpler than that :-)

Yes. And no. Maybe.

There _has_ to be a way of not messing up something else (texinfo is at 2.9
in egcs, I used to have 2.11 :-).

To have a toolchain-x.y.z.tar.gz of 200Mb won't go down easy on folks (egcs
is nearly 10Mb now, and that is _huge_. What if I don't want make? Or
Objective C? Or Pascal, FORTRAN, whatever?).  There will be several
separate packages, and to upgrade gui-development-x.y to x.y+1 just because
a new texinfo came out is ridiculous.  The phenomenon of
lagging-behind-packages is to be seen today, specially wrt texinfo.tex and
some elisp files, and there isn't any easy answer to that...

> Thanks for the feedback.

Just trying to give a bit back.
--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viqa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616