This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFC: libiberty PATCH to disable demangling of ancient mangling schemes
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: Tom Tromey <tom at tromey dot com>, Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>, Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>, matz at gcc dot gnu dot org, Scott Gayou <sgayou at redhat dot com>, gcc-patches List <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB Patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2018 17:39:25 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFC: libiberty PATCH to disable demangling of ancient mangling schemes
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <CAFiYyc1gTSXgSiJSFKEWaE0UTGbi45-mWHKJnUb4Wvjp86bbFQ@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com> <CAKOQZ8zspME4gzoRw4xgFcShoqeUfp_e=Og=4S-yKn4EehokeA@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CADzB+2n6kz=9zLzordWp3gqW+hrLHBhQJ-5p5Lt8Stqv97=nBw@mail.gmail.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20181207104011.GD12380@tucnak> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On Fri, Dec 7, 2018 at 4:00 PM Jason Merrill <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> On 12/7/18 12:48 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:
> >>>>>> "Pedro" == Pedro Alves <email@example.com> writes:
> > Pedro> I would say that it's very, very unlikely, and not worth it of the
> > Pedro> maintenance burden.
> > Agreed, and especially true for the more unusual demanglings like Lucid
> > or EDG.
> > On the gdb side perhaps we can get rid of "demangle-style" now. It
> > probably hasn't worked properly in years, and after this it would be
> > guaranteed not to.
> So, here's the patch to tear out the old code, which passes the GCC
> regression testsuite. I also tried building binutils/gdb with it, and
> both will need to remove code that calls cplus_mangle_opname for dealing
> with the old mangling scheme.
GDB/binutils folks, how do you want to handle this? Shall I go ahead
with this patch, with the understanding that there will be associated
changes necessary when merging it into the binutils-gdb repository, or
go with the small disabling patch to start with?