This is the mail archive of the
gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Link with correct values-*.o files on Solaris (PR target/40411)
- From: Rainer Orth <ro at CeBiTec dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <libstdc++ at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 15:02:17 +0100
- Subject: Re: Link with correct values-*.o files on Solaris (PR target/40411)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <yddo9lzqtxy.fsf@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE> <alpine.DEB.2.20.1801121740440.10212@digraph.polyomino.org.uk>
Hi Joseph,
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018, Rainer Orth wrote:
>
>> At the same time, I had a new look at when values-Xc.o is used by the
>> Studio compilers. It selects strict ISO C mode in a couple of cases,
>> and the latest Studio 12.6 cc, which is about to do away with the
>> previous -Xc option which enabled that mode in favour of gcc-compatible
>> -pedantic, uses the latter to control its use. So I've changed gcc to
>> follow suit.
>
> gcc -pedantic is only ever a diagnostic option, not a semantic one; it's
> incorrect to use it to change library semantics. The relevant options for
> strict ISO C (and C++) modes are -ansi, -std=c*, -std=iso9899:199409 and
> aliases for those options.
that's what you get for changing your code at the eleventh hour ;-)
Before introducing -pedantic, I had
#define STARTFILE_ARCH_SPEC \
"%{ansi|std=c90|std=iso9899\\:199409:values-Xc.o%s; :values-Xa.o%s} \
(which isn't correct either since it only handled C90 and C94). I don't
think you need to handle the aliases explicitly: last time I checked
they never arrive in specs.
Prompted by the realization that -ansi applies to both C and C++ and I
only meant to affect C, I had a look at what the (then recently
released) Studio 12.6 compilers do, which strive for more GCC
compatibility.
I've now also checked the OpenSolaris libc and libm sources for uses of
_lib_version == strict_ansi (as is set in values-Xc.o). libc has none,
and the uses in libm all follow this pattern (ignoring C Issue 4.2
compatibility mode handling no longer activated):
if (lib_version == strict_ansi) {
errno = EDOM;
} else if (!matherr(&exc)) {
errno = EDOM;
}
The default implementation of matherr (overridable by the user) just returns 0.
So it seems the following snippet
#define STARTFILE_ARCH_SPEC \
[...]
%{std=c9*|std=iso9899\\:199409|std=c1*:values-Xc.o%s; :values-Xa.o%s} \
seems like the right thing to do, as you said.
> -ansi is not defined as a .opt alias of -std=c90 (because the option it's
> an alias for depends on whether C or C++ is being compiled), so I'd expect
> the specs to need to handle it along with -std=c90. I'd also expect
> -std=iso9899:199409 to need to be handled there, supposing handling it
> like -std=c90 is correct. And what about C++ versions not based on C99 or
> later?
I'm of mixed minds about whether or not to include -ansi in the above
list: for C it's correct, for C++ it's less clear. AFAIK there's no way
to distinguish between different languages in specs (like via an -x
<lang> switch always passed in). OTOH, it has always been there already.
The following patch implements the above with corresponding comment
adjustments. I'm open to suggestions what to do about -ansi.
Rainer
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University
2018-01-29 Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
PR target/40411
* config/sol2.h (STARTFILE_ARCH_SPEC): Use -std=c9*,
-std=iso9899:199409, -std=c1* instead of -pedantic to select
values-Xc.o.
# HG changeset patch
# Parent 85f8b72d36b77c99997c044e6383f825596017ad
Fix use of Solaris values-Xc.o (PR target/40411)
diff --git a/gcc/config/sol2.h b/gcc/config/sol2.h
--- a/gcc/config/sol2.h
+++ b/gcc/config/sol2.h
@@ -180,7 +180,9 @@ along with GCC; see the file COPYING3.
The values-X[ac].o objects set the variable _lib_version. The Studio C
compilers use values-Xc.o with either -Xc or (since Studio 12.6)
-pedantic to select strictly conformant ISO C behaviour, otherwise
- values-Xa.o.
+ values-Xa.o. Since -pedantic is a diagnostic option only in GCC, we
+ need to specifiy the -std=c* options and -std=iso9899:199409. -ansi is
+ omitted from that list to avoid influencing C++.
The values-xpg[46].o objects define either or both __xpg[46] variables,
selecting XPG4 mode (__xpg4) and conforming C99/SUSv3 behavior (__xpg6).
@@ -195,7 +197,7 @@ along with GCC; see the file COPYING3.
#undef STARTFILE_ARCH_SPEC
#define STARTFILE_ARCH_SPEC \
"%{!shared:%{!symbolic: \
- %{pedantic:values-Xc.o%s; :values-Xa.o%s} \
+ %{std=c9*|std=iso9899\\:199409|std=c1*:values-Xc.o%s; :values-Xa.o%s} \
%{std=c90|std=gnu90:values-xpg4.o%s; :values-xpg6.o%s}}}"
#if defined(HAVE_LD_PIE) && defined(HAVE_SOLARIS_CRTS)