This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [C PATCH] Clamp down "incomplete type" error (PR c/63543)
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Marek Polacek <polacek at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 21:46:20 +0000
- Subject: Re: [C PATCH] Clamp down "incomplete type" error (PR c/63543)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141015172244 dot GE10501 at redhat dot com>
On Wed, 15 Oct 2014, Marek Polacek wrote:
> We've got a complaint that the "dereferencing pointer to incomplete
> type" error is printed for all occurrences of the incomplete type,
> which is too verbose. Also it'd be nicer to print the type as well.
> This patch fixes this; if we find an incomplete type, mark it with error
> node, then we don't print the error message more than once.
I don't like this approach of modifying the type; type nodes are shared
objects and this could affect all sorts of other logic subsequently
working with the type. I think there should be some sort of annotation of
the type (either in the type itself, or on the side) that *only* means an
error has been given for the type being incomplete, rather than inserting
error_mark_node into the type.
Joseph S. Myers