This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: -fuse-caller-save - Collect register usage information
- From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- To: Mike Stump <mikestump at comcast dot net>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Tom de Vries <Tom_deVries at mentor dot com>, Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov at redhat dot com>
- Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:46:49 +0200
- Subject: Re: -fuse-caller-save - Collect register usage information
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <534ED7BC dot 50300 at mentor dot com> <535798F0 dot 7070809 at mentor dot com> <344F2F85-3D3A-4D50-8D95-B3E820581EF3 at comcast dot net>
> So, I hate the name of the option, and the documentation seems wrong to me.
> It doesnât use the caller saved registers for allocation, it uses the call
> clobbered registers for allocation. Or, one could say it uses the callee
> saved registers for allocation.
Seconded, the description is a bit confusing and "caller saved"/"callee saved"
should be avoided IMO, "call clobbered"/"call saved" is much clearer.