This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch] Add -static-libquadmath option
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu>
- Cc: FX <fxcoudert at gmail dot com>, GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, fortran List <fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 21:15:31 +0000
- Subject: Re: [patch] Add -static-libquadmath option
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <47CE233C-AD7D-4DEF-A76A-889C724A245B at gmail dot com> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1410062035100 dot 25827 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <20141006205235 dot GA14150 at troutmask dot apl dot washington dot edu>
On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 08:38:14PM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > Since -static-libquadmath introduces LGPL requirements on redistributing
> > the resulting binaries (that you provide source or relinkable object files
> > to allow relinking with modified versions of libquadmath) that don't
> > otherwise generally apply simply through using GCC to build a program even
> > if you link in GCC's other libraries statically, it would seem a good idea
> > for the documentation of this option to make that explicit.
> Or, change the license of libquadmath to be compatible with
> libgcci and libgfortran.
I believe we established when libquadmath was added that this wasn't an
option as large parts of the code are not assigned to the FSF.
(Longer-term it might make sense to support TS 18661-3 in GCC and glibc,
so that libquadmath isn't needed when using new glibc as the functions are
available in libm under TS 18661-3 names such as sinf128.)
Joseph S. Myers