This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [Patch ARM] Turn on hot cold partitioning ?
- From: Christian Bruel <christian dot bruel at st dot com>
- To: "ramrad01 at arm dot com" <ramrad01 at arm dot com>
- Cc: Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana dot gcc at googlemail dot com>, Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana dot radhakrishnan at arm dot com>, "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Christophe Lyon <christophe dot lyon at linaro dot org>, Matthew Gretton-Dann <matthew dot gretton-dann at arm dot com>
- Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 14:05:06 +0200
- Subject: Re: [Patch ARM] Turn on hot cold partitioning ?
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <542BC37A dot 2010008 at st dot com> <CAJA7tRa97i-31_M==9J-B+i4RQuUpreZ0RMOH-DQASwZ1Gnapg at mail dot gmail dot com>
OK, thanks for the update. partitioning would be very important for my
current work so I'd like to understand what is so special with ARM that
it's the only target that can't achieve that (on the V7 at least ).
Christophe, Mathew, did you have a test case (I don't have a direct
access to the Linaro archives) ?
Thanks a lot,
On 10/01/2014 12:43 PM, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Christian Bruel <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ramana,
>> Your patch https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2012-02/msg01492.html
>> seems to have not been applied for 4.10. Are there any stoppers or is it
>> an omission ?
> Short answer, no, not an omission. It could not be made to work
> properly for a few reasons. When I continued with it the problem I was
> hitting was the assumption that you can branch anywhere. IIRC using an
> indirect branch wasn't possible because you couldn't find enough
> registers because of pass ordering issues.
> Matthew Gretton-Dann and Christophe Lyon at Linaro worked on it for
> sometime and they hit other problems. There are probably enough mails
> in the archive to document this history.