This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: More informative ODR warnings
- From: Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>
- To: Trevor Saunders <tsaunders at mozilla dot com>, Jan Hubicka <hubicka at ucw dot cz>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 16:14:31 -0700
- Subject: Re: More informative ODR warnings
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140702151520 dot GB28874 at kam dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <20140702191745 dot GA23386 at tsaunders-iceball dot corp dot tor1 dot mozilla dot com> <20140702192803 dot GA12533 at kam dot mff dot cuni dot cz> <20140702223422 dot GB23386 at tsaunders-iceball dot corp dot tor1 dot mozilla dot com>
On 07/02/2014 03:34 PM, Trevor Saunders wrote:
On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:28:03PM +0200, Jan Hubicka wrote:
it seems to me this doesn't get at the real issue that the type names
are the same but the fields are different. maybe "a type of the same
name with different fields defined here"?
This is what I print when I see name mismatch. It usually means completely different structure/field.
It speaks of fields names rather than type names. Better wording is welcome.
I was sort of suggesting that part I quoted, but its not great either.
note: First differing member of $whatever defined here
I think that would be better. The problem is that the different
BufferedMsg definitions are not equivalent by the ODR rules, so the
primary error should be about BufferedMsg, followed by information about
the differing data members.