This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [C PATCH] Another locus improvements (PR c/60257)
- From: Marek Polacek <polacek at redhat dot com>
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: GCC Patches <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 15:12:23 +0200
- Subject: Re: [C PATCH] Another locus improvements (PR c/60257)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140426091512 dot GA23721 at redhat dot com> <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1405020007540 dot 16441 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 12:11:02AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Apr 2014, Marek Polacek wrote:
> > What is worth mentioning is that the "(near initialization for X)"
> > message seems next to useless to me now with caret diagnostics (?).
> The caret diagnostics point to the initializer. "near initialization"
> says (or should say) what field GCC thinks is being initialized, which may
> not be obvious from looking at the initializer (consider a 100-element
> structure where the initializer for one element is missing, resulting in
> errors for subsequent elements having the wrong type; being told which
> element GCC thinks matches the initializer with a bad type may help you
> find where the missing initializer is).
I see, thanks. It would be nice if we could show the previous
initialization in some note message...