This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Dump framework newline cleanup
- From: Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google dot com>
- To: Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google dot com>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:06:06 -0700
- Subject: Re: Dump framework newline cleanup
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAAe5K+V_9wrsNBKN_mVhKihnbKYhxGuqFktbmorh3f6EBn15pg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAkRFZ+UCzhACZ4d3ufG7jjts-ft9suVpPw6=UFtde0=Wv4T+A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAe5K+WS8mQnSd9ps07djcyQ2SjEA1NXEzExNWHhE3y7froKTA at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAkRFZLJ9OXrrmo6wqbVwJBKpfB-YV8zCYmWz5VTWJhpiR-KQw at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Xinliang David Li <email@example.com> wrote:
> I noticed there are a couple of dump_printf_loc instances in
> coverage.c not ended with newline. They should be fixed.
I committed this change this morning as r202628. I believe I fixed all
the dump_printf_loc calls (just double-checked). Can you let me know
if you see anymore after you update to this revision?
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Teresa Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Xinliang David Li <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> looks fine to me.
>>> In the long run, I wonder if the machinery in diagnostic messages can
>>> be reused for opt-info dumping -- i.e., support different streams. It
>>> has many nice features including %qD specifier for printing tree
>> Yes, this would have some advantages such as getting the function name emitted.
>>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Teresa Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>>>> I've attached a patch that implements the cleanup of newline emission
>>>> by the new dump framework as discussed here:
>>>> Essentially, I have removed the leading newline emission from
>>>> dump_loc, and updated dump_printf_loc invocations to emit a trailing
>>>> newline as necessary. This will remove unnecessary vertical space in
>>>> the dump output.
>>>> I did not do any other cleanup of the existing vectorization messages
>>>> - there are IMO a lot of messages being emitted by the vectorizer
>>>> under MSG_NOTE (and probably MSG_MISSED_OPTIMIZATION) that should only
>>>> be emitted to the dump file under -fdump-tree-... and not emitted
>>>> under -fopt-info-all. The ones that stay under -fopt-info-all need
>>>> some formatting/style cleanup. Leaving that for follow-on work.
>>>> Bootstrapped and tested on x86-64-unknown-linux-gnu. Ok for trunk?
>>>> Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | email@example.com | 408-460-2413
>> Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-460-2413
Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | email@example.com | 408-460-2413