This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Dump framework newline cleanup
- From: Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google dot com>
- To: Teresa Johnson <tejohnson at google dot com>
- Cc: "gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>, Richard Biener <richard dot guenther at gmail dot com>
- Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:57:24 -0700
- Subject: Re: Dump framework newline cleanup
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAAe5K+V_9wrsNBKN_mVhKihnbKYhxGuqFktbmorh3f6EBn15pg at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAkRFZ+UCzhACZ4d3ufG7jjts-ft9suVpPw6=UFtde0=Wv4T+A at mail dot gmail dot com> <CAAe5K+WS8mQnSd9ps07djcyQ2SjEA1NXEzExNWHhE3y7froKTA at mail dot gmail dot com>
I noticed there are a couple of dump_printf_loc instances in
coverage.c not ended with newline. They should be fixed.
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Teresa Johnson <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Xinliang David Li <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> looks fine to me.
>> In the long run, I wonder if the machinery in diagnostic messages can
>> be reused for opt-info dumping -- i.e., support different streams. It
>> has many nice features including %qD specifier for printing tree
> Yes, this would have some advantages such as getting the function name emitted.
>> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Teresa Johnson <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> I've attached a patch that implements the cleanup of newline emission
>>> by the new dump framework as discussed here:
>>> Essentially, I have removed the leading newline emission from
>>> dump_loc, and updated dump_printf_loc invocations to emit a trailing
>>> newline as necessary. This will remove unnecessary vertical space in
>>> the dump output.
>>> I did not do any other cleanup of the existing vectorization messages
>>> - there are IMO a lot of messages being emitted by the vectorizer
>>> under MSG_NOTE (and probably MSG_MISSED_OPTIMIZATION) that should only
>>> be emitted to the dump file under -fdump-tree-... and not emitted
>>> under -fopt-info-all. The ones that stay under -fopt-info-all need
>>> some formatting/style cleanup. Leaving that for follow-on work.
>>> Bootstrapped and tested on x86-64-unknown-linux-gnu. Ok for trunk?
>>> Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | firstname.lastname@example.org | 408-460-2413
> Teresa Johnson | Software Engineer | email@example.com | 408-460-2413