This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [patch][PR/42955] Don't install $(target)/bin/gcc, gfortran, etc.
- From: Brooks Moses <bmoses at google dot com>
- To: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, fortran at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 09:32:02 -0700
- Subject: Re: [patch][PR/42955] Don't install $(target)/bin/gcc, gfortran, etc.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAOxa4Krv0S6Lm_bw8TmiSMUkfpPGXHFXSFMw_HN9r9VpCMsf1Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <52167C08 dot 4030801 at google dot com>
On 08/22/2013 02:00 PM, Brooks Moses wrote:
On 08/08/2013 02:10 PM, Brooks Moses wrote:
As discussed in PR/42955, when GCC is built as a cross-compiler, it
will install "gcc", "g++", "c++", and "gfortran" binaries in
$(target)/bin, as well as installing the $target-gcc and so forth in
bin. However, these binaries in $(target)/bin do not work; they
cannot find libexec.
More to the point, this bug has been open for three years with no
traffic, and the failure started significantly before that. Clearly,
making these work is not a priority. Further, these binaries are real
files, not symlinks or hard links; they take up actual space.
As discussed on the bug, Joseph argues that $(target)/bin "contains
executables from binutils for internal use by GCC; that's its sole
purpose. The files installed by GCC there aren't used by GCC (rather,
the public installed copy of the driver gets used when collect2 needs
to call back to the driver), so shouldn't be installed."
Thus, this patch, which simply removes these broken executables.
Tested by building a cross-compiler and confirming that they are gone,
and by building a native compiler and confirming that the expected
bin/gcc, bin/g++, bin/c++, and bin/gfortran are still present.
Ok to commit?
2013-08-08 Brooks Moses <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Makefile.in: Do not install driver binaries in $(target)/bin.
* Make-lang.in: Do not install driver binaries in $(target)/bin.