This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PING*4] add support for dwarf AT_GNU_descriptive_type
- From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>
- To: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou at adacore dot com>
- Cc: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Olivier Hainque <hainque at adacore dot com>, Jason Merrill <jason at redhat dot com>, guitton at adacore dot com
- Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 13:37:49 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PING*4] add support for dwarf AT_GNU_descriptive_type
- References: <20100902143849.GA23684@cardhu.act-europe.fr> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4CD9B469.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> > I'm interested in seeing the DWARF which is generated for the specific
> > example and what would be generated with the patch.
> You can already see it with unpatched GNAT compilers; the only missing thing
> is the DW_AT_GNU_descriptive_type that links a type to the additional types
> generated to encode its debug info.
In other words, it's a performance improvement for the debugger. Instead
of performing the lookup by name, we have direct access to it.