This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: PATCH RFA: Do not build java by default
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Jeff Law <law at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google dot com>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, java at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, java-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 20:58:01 -0700
- Subject: Re: PATCH RFA: Do not build java by default
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <AANLkTinN2srdxEJzeeNnofjbdLNaYZTxUW2TJv6==ZYG@mail.gmail.com> <4CCF8804.email@example.com>
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Jeff Law <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> ?On 11/01/10 12:16, Diego Novillo wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 15:09, Ian Lance Taylor<email@example.com> ?wrote:
>>> Comments? ?Approvals?
>> FWIW, I agree with this patch for the same reasons stated by Ian.
>> Other than massively increasing build times, I have not seen
>> substantial benefits for having java enabled by default. ?Ada, on the
>> other hand, has shown more usefulness in exposing bugs (particularly,
>> middle end) and is many times faster.
>> This is the kind of patch that requires more consensus or agreement
>> from the java maintainers. ?aph, are you dead set against disabling
>> java? ?Is there anything we could do to change your mind?
> Building libjava (at least for me) is primarily painful due to 2 files (the
> names escape me) and the rather poor coarse level parallelism (can't build
> the 32bit and 64bit multilibs in parallel for example).
> Has anyone looked at fixing the build machinery for libjava to make it more
> I'd personally prefer java over ada as I'm able to understand java code
> easier, thus when something does go wrong I'm able to debug it much faster.
FWIW, it takes about 33minutes to bootstap gcc trunk on Fedora 13/Intel
Core i7 870 with both 32bit and 64bit libraries. I configure gcc with
-enable-clocale=gnu --with-system-zlib --with-demangler-in-ld --enab
le-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-haifa --prefix=/usr/gcc-4.6.0 --with-
local-prefix=/usr/local --with-fpmath=sse --with-plugin-ld=ld.gold --enable-gold