This is the mail archive of the gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Alpha -mieee Patch


On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 07:00:57PM -0400, Tyson Whitehead wrote:
> Here's a patch (against CVS HEAD) that makes IEEE compliant math operations 
> (support for denormalization, nan, inf, etc) the default on the Alpha unless 
> it is specifically turned off with -mno-ieee.

I do not like this.

(1) This has been the status quo on alpha since the beginning of time.
    Not just with GCC, but with DEC C as well.  Why change now?

(2) Particularly with pre-ev6 cpus, this results in severe penalties
    of the performance for maths.

(3) Every time I looked at a non-math user application that got SIGFPE
    due to subnormals, it was due to an uninitialized data read.


I will not accept the patch as-is.


(A) At the extreme minimum, I require that -ffast-math result in
    ieee math off, unless the user has explicitly enabled it for
    some reason.

(B) I do not like a solution that changes the default for just one
    operating system.  That's a bit of inconsistency that grates.
    That means you'll need to track down the other users of alpha gcc
    and get agreement.  I realize that this will be very difficult --
    indeed, I *intend* for it to be difficult.



r~


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]