This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Patch to create copy of update_web_docs for use for old releases
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- To: Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at dbai dot tuwien dot ac dot at>
- Cc: <gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:02:50 +0000 (GMT)
- Subject: Re: Patch to create copy of update_web_docs for use for old releases
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Though, wouldn't it have been better to name the "old" script ..._3.0
> or similiar? (What, if in the future we need yet another, third version?)
The old script isn't just for 3.0 - it will also be used for generating
onlinedocs for 2.95.4 if such a release ever appears. At some point, when
both the 2.95 and 3.0 branches have been declared dead, it can go away.
Having the script handle a range of versions if straightforward - the old
one does handle variation in where some files are located. It simply
seemed more sensible to break off this handling of old versions when the
method used to generate onlinedocs changed, rather than make it allow for
both methods. Since texi2html was in essence a stopgap for until makeinfo
got adequate HTML support, I don't anticipate need for another change
(though the current script might still need to deal with future variation
in file locations).
Joseph S. Myers