This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] PowerPC multiply-add (was patch: rs6000 specific)
- From: Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple dot com>
- To: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Dale Johannesen <dalej at apple dot com>, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 14:57:21 -0800
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PowerPC multiply-add (was patch: rs6000 specific)
On Tuesday, December 4, 2001, at 02:46 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:
> Distinct and more descriptive Subject lines would have been
> helpful :^).
> My biggest problem with the FMA patch is why GCC does not perform
> this transformation itself. It seems sort of sad that we need to insert
> all of these variants instead of GCC canonicalizing the form itself.
It is sad, but of course the machine-independent parts currently have
no concept of multiply-add; these patterns arise from combine.