This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: MachTen Egcs Patches
- To: Steve Holmgren <holmgren at tenon dot com>, law at cygnus dot com
- Subject: Re: MachTen Egcs Patches
- From: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 19:36:45 -0700
- Cc: egcs-patches at cygnus dot com
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>
[ The following commentary is without the benefit of looking at the patch
itself. Note that no one outside the Mac world can read BinHex nonsense. ]
On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 12:53:08PM -0800, Steve Holmgren wrote:
> 2. -fno-builtin-alloca and -fbuiltin-alloca. We include the
> no-builtin-alloca to use our own real memory stack management
> __builtin_alloca which comes from libc.
Have you tried simply USE_C_ALLOCA?
The builtin alloca is not the only place GCC can allocate stack, and
if you don't get them all, you don't really win. This disabling of
alloca is something I don't comprehend -- just don't use it.
> 3. We added the -Xl command line option to support linker options.
> Specifically -Xlstack.
Such handling can be done in the MachTen-specific header files. And
doing it in the generic code is wrong.
> 4. In tree.c we provide for the optional override of the alloc and
> free with the OBSTACK_CHUNK_ASSIGNMENT.
For what purpose?