This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: little epilogue optimization
- To: drepper at cygnus dot com (Ulrich Drepper)
- Subject: Re: little epilogue optimization
- From: Jeffrey A Law <law at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 09:31:24 -0600
- cc: Richard Henderson <rth at cygnus dot com>, egcs-patches at cygnus dot com
- Reply-To: law at cygnus dot com
In message <firstname.lastname@example.org>you write:
> Richard Henderson <email@example.com> writes:
> > He explained to me, while he was asking how it could be done,
> > that the important fact is that pop can pair with ret on the
> > pentia, where an add to esp cannot.
> Plus: the generated code is always smaller.
> add $xx, %esp 3 bytes
> popl %ecx 1 byte
> popl %ecx; popl %edx 2 bytes
Icing on the cake :-)
I'll install your latest revision of this patch shortly if you haven't
already beaten me to it.