Re: GCC update increased the file size by 4x on PowerPC port

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:14:12AM -0500, Felipe Gohring wrote:
> Now, my question is related to the generated code. When using V6.3, I had
> files of about 10k. After upgrading to V8.2, the very same file has more
> than 40k. Why is that? Please keep in mind that I am using exactly the same
> compilation flags (*-m32 -mmfpgpr -mabi=spe -mfloat-gprs=double -nostdlib
> -ffreestanding -fno-builtin -O0 -g3 -std=c11 -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat
> -Wall -Werror*) and source code, the only thing changing is the compiler
> version. I wouldn't mind having a memory footprint a bit bigger, but the
> overhead added is beyond acceptable.

If you care about code size, you want -O1 or -Os, not -O0.

And why are you using -mmfpgpr?  That option doesn't do anything for anything
targetting SPE, but for some reason many people use it?

> Further, besides the crazy sizes, some applications are breaking when using
> the updated compiler version, even though I am not having any warning
> neither error (*-Wall -Werror)*. How come, as the ABI should not be broken
> even with a different compiler version?

Use -Wall -Wextra instead...  But your code may be doing many more things
wrong than those warnings can detect.  You could try -fno-strict-aliasing
for example.

Segher