C/C++ Binaries double in size for gcc-4.8.5 compared to gcc-4.4.7

Hi,

We recently noticed that the size of binaries compiled with the newer GCC
(4.8.5) as part of Centos 7 OS is much bigger. Further digging revealed that
anything compiled on centos 7 machine has a bigger binary size with at least
20-30% increase and sometimes double or more.

Eg: I compiled a simple 'hello world' C program on both Centos 6 and Centos
7. Here are their sizes:
Centos 6: 6465 bytes
Centos 7: 8512 bytes.

All our C/C++ based application binary sizes have increased which has caused
the size of the ISO to also blow up.

Please let us know more details/information on why do we see this increase
and how to mitigate the same. The GCC versions in centos6 is 4.4.7 and in
centos7 is 4.8.5.

Regards,
Shagun

--