Re: First time help with gcc compile and install.

Chris Kirsten kirjoitti 25.8.2017 klo 10:39:

I am completely new to gcc.  I converted my Lenovo G580, i3 4-Core x86_64 laptop from Windows 8 to Linux Mageia 5, now 6, the latest upgrade.  I am busy with a web developing course at Udemy, but cannot view their course video's.

Gnash requires a C++ compiler which led me here.

Assuming every Linux having C and C++ compilers "ready to run" as default is wrong. One must nowadays install them :(  Of course they are free but not installed as default. It is assumed that the majority of the
users will never need them.

Very simple tests like :
    $ gcc -v
and
   $ g++ -v
would tell if one may have anything installed.

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no

But these rows also tell what the situation is : No C and C++ compilers installed In the x86_64 installations it is also common to leave the 32-bit support away
although the 64-bit target support is provided in C and C++

> configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executablesI later got the same diagnostics in the gcc config.log file.

_*Configure command*_.
[root@localhost Gcc-object]# /home/caldon/Executives/GCC/gcc-7.2.0/configure --prefix=$HOME/gcc-7.2.0 --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,go

Building GCC from its sources of course requires fully working C/C++ compiler
tools...

2.  Any ideas on what I may have left out or did wrong?

You must install the C and C++ compiler parts from the Mageia install packages. How this happens is your homework. I myself read about this Linux distro the first time... People seem to have had problems with this same issue - no compilers installed :

https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5360