Re: __GCC_HAVE_SYNC_COMPARE_AND_SWAP_16 not defined on aarch64

On Thu, 29 Jun 2017, Andrew Haley wrote:

> Well, yeah.  We can only really blame ARM for this: they provided a
> double-word CAS but no way to define a double-word atomic load which
> does not also store.  I hesitate to place blame on the ARM architects,
> a splendid and diligent bunch, but there it is.  I have no idea why
> LDXP doesn't work as an atomic load, but it does not.

FWIW, the situation is similar on amd64: there's no way to perform atomic
double-word load in readonly manner, for 128-bit SSE loads is it explicitly
documented that their atomicity is _not_ guaranteed.

In principle there's a nice solution involving vdso and kernel assists:

- have __atomic_load_128 be implemented with a new syscall that is
  supposed to be handled via vdso,
- use double-word ll/sc or cas in the vdso to implement the load,
- if it doesn't trap, yay!  success,
- if it traps, the kernel can easily see if the trap was from the vdso,
  and can emulate the load, with either a plain load from readonly memory, or
  redoing the cas on writable memory with kernel priviledges; the only case
  it can't naturally proceed if it's volatile device memory I think?

(but of course that's a nontrivial amount of work for a somewhat "academic"
issue)

Alexander