Re: Difficulty building GCC 7.1 on Bash for Windows 16.04

On 5/5/2017 8:29 PM, Christopher Di Bella wrote:
Hi,

I'm having difficulty building GCC 7.1 on Bash for Windows 16.04. I
used to be able to build trunk prior to the Creator's Update, but now
get the error below. Interestingly, I successfully built on Arch Linux
last night.

```
Configuring stage 1 in ./mpc
configure.ac:4: error: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.15,
configure.ac:4: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.ac:4: comes from Automake 1.14.1.  You should recreate
configure.ac:4: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
WARNING: 'automake-1.14' is probably too old.
         You should only need it if you modified 'Makefile.am' or
         'configure.ac' or m4 files included by 'configure.ac'.
         The 'automake' program is part of the GNU Automake package:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/automake>
         It also requires GNU Autoconf, GNU m4 and Perl in order to run:
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf>
         <http://www.gnu.org/software/m4/>
         <http://www.perl.org/>
```

I haven't made any modifications (so I wasn't aware this would be necessary).
When I run aclocal and automake, I get this:

```
configure.ac:33: error: Please use exactly Autoconf 2.64 instead of 2.69.
config/override.m4:12: _GCC_AUTOCONF_VERSION_CHECK is expanded from...
configure.ac:33: the top level
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
```

This means that I need to build automake from scratch, but building
automake 1.14.1 has its own complications that are probably outside of
this list's scope.

Just wondering if anyone has overcome a similar problem on Bash for
Windows or Ubuntu 16.04? I've attached the logs that I think are
relevant.

Cheers,

Chris

I apparently installed on WSL from automake_1.15-4ubuntu1_all.deb. As far as I can remember I used the pre-built versions of autoconf, m4, perl, mpc et al. obtained by apt-get. In my experience with various Windows variants, it's not a good idea to attempt the integrated build according to download_prerequisites where the pre-built utilities are OK. My build of gcc 7.1 came from trunk svn immediately prior to release. Is that different from final? Recent trunk 8.0 still built but wouldn't run make check even in serial mode.

--
Tim Prince