Re: building gcc 4.9.2 on Solaris 5.10 SPARC fails

On 26 January 2017 at 19:45, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

>>> versions. releases.  bug fixes ... etc.
>>

>> I still don't see what's confusing. The Prerequisites docs state
>> minimum versions, and the script downloads some particular versions
>> that are above the minimum versions. If you want to use later versions
>> you can do so. If you want a simple foolproof way to fetch and build
>> them without caring about specific versions, use the script.

>>> Does that script fetch from the source sites or from the ftp site at
>>> gcc.gnu.org?
>>

>> gcc.gnu.org but they're the same packages, so I still don't see what's
>> confusing you or what says "NOT THOSE LIBS".
>>

> Let's look ... what versions exist there for gmp, mpc, mpfr and isl ?

Several versions, as needed by the current version of
contrib/download_prerequisites and past versions included in older GCC
releases. That's so that running the script for older releases works.

Instead of being obtuse maybe you could clarify what is so confusing.

Are you confused by the fact that the Prerequisites page at
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html documents the versions
needed by current trunk, which are not the same as the versions needed
by older GCC releases? See the note at https://gcc.gnu.org/install/
which says

"The latest version of this document is always available at
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/. It refers to the current development
sources, instructions for specific released versions are included with
the sources."