verbosity of compiler

Hello,

I'm stuck in template developing and I would like to know, whether the
verbosity of compiler output could be increased?
Especially the decisions made, that lead to certain error?

I'm quite sure, that I made some mistakes, but I don't know, how to get rid of
them.

One error message for example is this:
		error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
     TimerType::startTimer<mode, ps> ( );

and another looks like
	error: no match for 'operator<' (operand types are '<unresolved
overloaded function type>' and 'hal::timer::TimerMode')
     TimerType::startTimer<mode, ps> ( );

Its the same source line which results in different error messages.
I would like to know:
- why is the function unresolved?

How can I find out, which of my definitions where accepted by the compiler and
which are rejected?
Is there somewhat like a debugging mode or verbose mode - that outputs the
different compiler steps?

best regards

Reinhard