Re: Preprocess files with gcc/gfortran vs. cpp

On 2/19/2016 2:30 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 19 February 2016 at 19:01, Nick Papior wrote:
>> Am I missing some point here?
>> I would have expected gcc/gfortran to use the _same_ preprocessing
>> utility as that provided in cpp?
> By default cpp works in C mode, but when invoked by the Fortran
> front-end it runs in a different mode. If you use cpp -x f97-cpp-input
> then it works in F95 mode, and you get results consistent with
> invoking gcc on a .f file, or invoking gfortran.
>
> I don't know why cpp treats C and Fortran input differently, but
> that's why you don't see what you expect.
The most obvious reason is that C99/c++ style pre-processing will break
the Fortran // operator (introduced in f77). It doesn't make sense if
the previous -traditional option for gcc was changed to f97-cpp-input.
Did you mean something like f77-cpp-input?

--
Tim Prince